Monday, August 22, 2011

1st DAY OF FIRST GRADE...

Wow!!  Do I really have a first grader?? Brynlee was so excited to start school again. She is definitely my child who likes to have structure and a schedule and I struggle with that during the summer. She has a short attention span and doesn't entertain herself well, so school starting was a good thing...for both of us! :) I definitely don't have this mom thing totally figured out, and a lot of days feel like a total failure, but I'm working on it. Anyway, I think she looks so grown up with her hair down, and I love her little preppy uniforms. Just prior to school starting I was starting to really question if we were making the right decision keeping her at the charter school. Not necessarily because of the school itself because I know that she is learning a ton and getting a great education, but mainly because of friends and teacher.  Brynlee's best friend Aislee and her family just moved a couple weeks ago and it has been sooo hard. Our kids were together every day...even if it was just for 15min. We would go back and forth from back door to back door and they always had an instant playmate. Last year her mom and I made different decisions on school. Aislee stayed at public and Brynlee went to charter. At the time it worked out well because I think the break from each other was good, and then they missed each other and played well after school. So...my questioning our decision stemmed from 1. Her best friend and several other friends are all in the same class at the public school, and they have a great teacher.
2. A couple of her closest friends from charter decided to go back to public this year.
3. We found out her teacher the Friday before school started and she is brand new, in her 50's, very sophisticated and by the book. These are all not bad things, but a BIG contrast to what her Kindergarten teacher was like. 
I was just nervous that he teacher would be really strict and not fun at all. It all seems kinda silly now, but I was definitely struggling. The good thing about all of this is that Brynlee isn't phased by any of it. I just have to hide my feelings and emotions and she is completely clueless. She did say a few times that she wasn't used to her new teacher and missed Ms. Carlston, but we just encouraged her to give her new teacher a chance. I really think it is going to all be ok. With her being the oldest, I just want her to have fun and have a nice teacher and have the teacher like her. Of course...I just want the best for her. 

3 comments:

Dyer Family said...

I am the same way with making those kind of decisions!! Im glad you decided to keep her in, she will do great!

thepainterfamily said...

love this post...these decisions never get easier do they?

Brynlee looks adorable on her first day!

Unknown said...

She looked so cute on her first day! I bet she was so excited!